Local Wichita Business Spotlight: Tanya’s Soup Kitchen
Please contact Tobie Andrews Real Estate Media for all of your residential and commercial photography needs. Photos, video, and drone. Let us help you! tobieandrewsre.com
Everyone who eats at Tanya's Soup Kitchen, LOVES Tanya's Soup Kitchen! TSK is located in the Douglas Design District and is one of Wichita's culinary treasures and popular dining hot spots. This relaxed and welcoming restaurant sources their ingredients locally. TSK's artfully, hand-crafted menu features delicious soups that will warm your soul, as well as all their other unique and scrumptious menu items. We recently had the pleasure of visiting with Kelly Rae, owner of TSK, to learn more about this beloved Wichita business.
1. Business Name? Tanya's Soup Kitchen
2. How many years have you been in business? TSK opened in April of 2011 by our beloved Tanya Tandoc. I have had the pleasure of owning and watching it grow for the past 5 years.
3. What is your business’s mission statement? At TSK, I wanted to change the norm of how you view a restaurant! My mission is for all to feel like they walked into the comforts of their own home. A place for nurturing and guidance. A place for self acceptance and love. A place where you can be your most vulnerable without being afraid. We will always be here to lend a helping hand. Showing compassion, kindness, understanding, and love through the comforts of SOUP.
4. What inspired you to start this business? After our late Tanya passed, I knew that our community needed TSK to stay alive! I was inspired by the love we were shown and knew we couldn't give up. We couldn't give up on her dream and each other. Tanya's Soup Kitchen isn't just a business, it's a place that inspires us to live life everyday to the fullest. Tanya was an example to us all to be our best version of oneself, and I wasn't about to let that candle burn out!
5. What kind of education or training prepared you to operate your business? I am a self taught chef. However, I like to think life has been my best educator. I often describe restaurant business to running a household. It's a place where you invite your loved ones in, a place where you fed your soul, a place to discover something new! Let us also not forget, it's also a place to pay bills and do loads of chores! Ha. Being creative with food is just a bonus for me, because a restaurant is so much more than that. It's a family!
6. How did you know that Wichita was the perfect city to open your business in? After I got out of high school, many moons ago, I started working in restaurants. I have worked every single aspect of what goes on in front and back of the house. During this time, I also traveled! A lot! I have explored places, such as India, Australia, Mexico, Europe and much more. Every time I was away, it gave me something! It gave me a sense of home. It taught me it's not the state or place you are in, but the state of mind. Wichita, is not a city to take for granted, because what this city has is heart! I wouldn't want my business anywhere else. Home is where the heart is!
7. What is your favorite thing about owning and running a business in Wichita? What I love best about running a place in my home town, is that I get to share with our community, love. I have always been a girl with her heart on her sleeve. I love that through my business I can open up the doors to all makes! We are all types and I thrive off everyone, and being able to be open minded, fuels me.
8. How do you feel your business has impacted our community? Oh gosh, TSK has impacted us all in so many ways! We have mourned together, we have lost together! We have also grown together, become stronger together! We have experienced things that change your make, for the good and the bad. Creating a sense of balance for ourselves and others. I feel honored that I get to share that sense of peace with everyone.
9. What is the most heartfelt compliment a customer has given you or your business? I am not going to lie! I love hearing "that taste better than my mom or grandma made it". To me, bringing up that sense of nostalgia is awesome! Because, I want people to remember my food. Eating is something we do every day and we take flavor for granted! I love making food pretty and taste amazing, but to me it's all about the memory making!
10. What is the most amusing or funny experience you have had happen at your business or while you were operating your business? Bacon grease all down my back side! We were having our stoves replaced and I reserve bacon grease for cooking to add that flavor! Well, it had gotten moved and it slid off the counter while I was turning around, and there it went! Fortunately, I pretty much got the lot of the grease. Unfortunately, no other staff member was around for another several hours, so I couldn't leave to go home and change. I had to remain like that allowing it to seep into me bums! We still have a good laugh over that one.
12. What is the most satisfying aspect of being a business owner? If you have gotten this far in reading, you will understand. It's not your regular definition of the meaning. My favorite part of being a business owner is being a mom. It's a chance in life that teaches you who you want to be and who you don't. I am after all forever growing, and my business has taught me to reflect, and check my ego at the door.
Love. xoxo, Kelly Rae
Tanya's Soup Kitchen
Location: 1725 E Douglas Ave, Wichita, KS 67211
Phone: (316) 267-7687
Hours of operation:
Monday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Tuesday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Wednesday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Thursday 11:00am - 3:00pm Friday 11:00am - 3:00pm, 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Saturday 11:00am - 3:00pm, 5:00pm - 8:00pm
We love to feature other local businesses in our community, but we are also proud of our own! Please contact Tobie Andrews Real Estate Media for all of your residential and commercial photography needs. Photos, video, and drone. Let us help you! tobieandrewsre.com